Sunday 23 February 2014

Sugar & Spice Pecans

Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice…. yep… that’s what I’m taking about! You just can’t stop eating these yummy little gems! 

I love pecans! I have been eating them all my life. I could eat pecans with just about everything… okay maybe not everything, but I do eat them with a lot of different foods.
However, their delicious taste isn’t the only thing that pecans have going for them: they are extremely healthy! 
sugar and spice pecans

*Pecans:

  • Rich in antioxidants
  • Lower your LDL cholesterol
  • Prevents plaque formation in your arteries 
  • Buffer your brain health
  • Contains Vitamin E
  • Delay progression of degenerative neurological diseases (Lou Gehrig’s for example) 

So now that you know all about the mighty pecan, let me share a truly wonderful recipe that my mother has been making ever since I can remember.
sugar and spice nuts 2
The pecans I used in this recipe are from pecan trees from my parents farm. They are as organic as you can possibly get.
Our family uses these delicious pecans in cookie recipes, pecan pie recipes, in our morning oatmeal, for pralines candies, in cinnamon rolls, as an ice cream topping, or they are absolutely wonderful eaten raw.  
This recipe is simple to make. We usually make a big batch and then we have a supply on hand for whenever we want some. 
Start by combing the following in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
sugar and spice nuts 5
 
Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasoinally. 
 
Next add:
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
and 3 Cups of pecans (or walnuts, your choice) 
Stir until the nuts are well coated. 
 
 
  sugar and spice nuts 4
Spread into a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. 
sugar and spice nuts 3
 
Let cool, break into small pieces, and store in an air tight container.  
 
 
*You may modify the recipe by adding more spices to the recipe, such as nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, chi, extra cinnamon, etc…
Next
Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment